When your home or office is devastated by a flood and water damage, you don’t have much time to salvage your possessions. Flood and water can cause significant damage within minutes, so make sure you take immediate steps to salvage what you can during or after the flood before the water damage has a chance to set in.
- If possible, find the source of the flood and turn it off, this will minimize the water damage to your personal possessions. If the flooding is from a busted pipe, either inside the house or from outside, there’s not much you can do except call a professional restoration company immediately – regardless of the time of day. Most professional restoration companies are available for emergencies – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Once you’ve called the flood and water damage experts, check to see If the area is flooded with clean water. If that is the case, take pictures to document the damage and then remove any items you can from the flooded and affected area. However, if you notice black or gray water, it’s highly recommended that you wait for a professional restoration technician to handle your flood and water damage problem.
If your personal belongings or other items have come into contact with black or grey water, do not attempt to remove them yourself. Hazardous and unsanitary black water may contain sewerage or other contaminants.
- When structural materials and contents are heavily contaminated with pathogenic agents, restoration procedures are extensive and affected items are always replaced.
- Consumption and exposure to this type of water damage can result in serious illness and mold growth if left unattended for more than 24 hours.
- To prevent further damage or loss, trust an expert professional restoration company for accurate water extraction and sterilization practices.